KATY (Covering Katy News) – School Board member George Scott used a Facebook post on Thursday night to announce that he would not seek re-election. Scott is in the final months of his three year term. He has served one term.
“I will not be a candidate in either open position for the Katy ISD School Board in the election to be held Saturday, May 4, 2019,” Scott posted.
Scott alerted a small group of people months ago that he did not plan to run for re-election. A new candidate is expected to file for his open seat in the next few days. That candidate will take on Katy ISD critic Sean Dolan who filed to run for the Position One seat last week.
While Scott will not be running, he is planning to speak loudly against Dolan during the upcoming campaign. Scott believes that by stepping aside his comments won’t be made in the context of him being a candidate, but a former board member with inside knowledge of a divided board.
Like What You're Reading?
He’ll also speak out against media outlets that he feels have been unfair to Katy ISD over the past year.
“I am going to explain the journalistic corruption and abject journalistic dishonesty of The Houston Chronicle and the more local Impact News,” he said. “Crap Journalism,” Scott added.
“IF THE COMMUNITY DEPENDS UPON THE NEWS MEDIA – not including Covering Katy – to decide how to respond, the community will be up a creek without a paddle,” he said.
Scott says the community has a big decision to make in the upcoming election.
“I have lived in Katy since 1983; had professional relationships in Katy since 1977; and there has never been a more important election in the history of the school district than the one set for May 4, 2019.”
Rebecca Fox has filed to defend her Position 2 seat. At this point no candidate has filed to run against her.