A warning about space heaters from the Harris County Fire Marshal

Electric space heater – Shutterstock

HARRIS COUNTY (Covering Katy News) – At approximately 4 a.m. Harris County Fire Marshal’s Office investigators were requested to assist Rosehill Fire Department with a residential fire in the 17100 block of Self Rd. Investigators determined the fire was caused by combustibles being too close to a space heater.

“With colder weather in Harris County, it is imperative residents practice fire safety when using space heaters,” said Harris County Fire Marshal Laurie L. Christensen. “When using space heaters to warm your home, make sure anything that can burn is at least 3-feet away from the space heater. By creating a 3-foot safe zone around space heaters, the likelihood of a space heater fire is greatly reduced.”

The Harris County Fire Marshal’s Office encourages all residents to follow these fire safety tips when using space heaters:

  • Place space heaters on solid, flat surfaces. Also, make sure your space heater has an automatic shut off in case it tips over.
  • Check space heaters for cracked or damaged cords and plugs.
  • Plug space heaters directly into wall outlets, don’t use an extension cord or power strip.
  • Keep anything that can burn at least 3-feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
  • Create a “kid free zone” three feet from open fires and space heaters.
  • Never use your oven to heat your home.
  • Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Test your smoke alarms monthly.

The mission of the Harris County Fire Marshal’s Office is to safeguard the lives and property of the residents in Harris County through effective fire prevention, fire investigation, education, emergency response, and emergency management.

We live here
We’re truthful
We tell the whole story

$5.95/month or $65/year

SUBSCRIBE NOW

monthly signup 6 month signup yearly signup