KATY/HARRIS COUNTY (Covering Katy News) – Harris County Precinct 5 Constable’s Office investigators recently recovered an illegal ATM skimmer at a gas station in the 1500 block of North Westgreen in Katy. The exact location of the gas station was not provided.
“This skimmer was carefully glued over the ATM card reader, disguised to blend in with the ATM’s normal equipment,” said a statement from Precinct 5. “In addition, the suspect installed a tiny a camera above the keypad to capture PINs as unsuspecting customers punched their numbers into the keypad.”
The gas station operator reported the crime and is working closely with deputies from Constable Ted Heap’s Office to help identify the person who illegally installed it.
“This illegal skimmer is a reminder to us all how difficult it can be to protect yourself from these electronic devices designed to gain access to your bank account,” said a statement from Constable Heap’s office.
Like What You're Reading?
Constable Ted Heap provided several tips for avoiding ATM credit card skimmers.
• Check the electronic reader for any evidence of tampering. If the card reader appears loose or broken, report it to a station attendant and find a more secure device to use.
• When possible, use indoor ATMs with security cameras nearby and card readers that are inset into the machine.
• If you use an outdoor ATM, try to find one in a well-lit area, preferably close to a cashier.
• Check your credit card and debit card transactions daily. Immediately report any suspicious activity.
• When using your credit card at a gas pump, check to see if the pump’s security seal is broken. If the doors to the pump’s interior is unlocked or open, do not use it.