Katy Woman Kills Home Invader and Scares-Off Second Gunman

Two Sheriff's Deputies and their K-9 in the Sundown neighborhood. One deputy had his weapon drawn. Covering Katy photo by Dennis Spellman


KATY (Covering Katy) – A 60-year-old Katy woman says she used her handgun to kill one of two home invaders and scare off the other. It happened in the Sundown Subdivision off Saums Road not far from North Fry Road.  Deputies got the call at about 11:30 a.m. Monday morning for a home invasion/shooting on Fort Bowie Court near Graw Hawk Lane.

“Two black male subjects came in through an open garage and then entered the home. Both men were armed with pistols,” said Deputy Thomas Gilliland of the Harris County Sheriff’s Office.

The woman who lives in the home told deputies that she retrieved a handgun and fired several times at both intruders. One man was shot as he was fleeing the house and died in the front yard, not far from the front door.

“The second subject hopped a fence and ran northbound between houses onto Saums Road,” Gilliland said. That man is still on the run.

It’s unclear if he was wounded or if he avoided getting shot. A helicopter searched for him, and deputies were on the lookout in the area.

Both home invaders were described as 19- to 20-year-old black males. The man who is on the run was wearing gray or black shorts with red underwear and a dark T-shirt.

“It’s a quiet, laid-back neighborhood,” said surprised Sundown resident Kenosha Brown.

But not all neighbors were as surprised as Brown.

“Unfortunately, Grawhawk Lane is a through-street and we do see crazy driving, and there was a drive-by shooting here once,” said neighbor Cathy Hanks.

Deputy Gilliland said the invasion happened in a rental home. He said other people lived at the house but only one person was there at the time of the invasion, and she fired the shots.

Deputies were still in the process of interviewing the woman when the media was being briefed. At the time, it was not clear if the men who came to the home demanded something in particular, or simply picked the home at random because it had an open garage door.

Gilliland says it was too early to determine if the woman would face charges. Investigators were in the process of checking to see if her story was consistent with the evidence at the scene. They were also checking to see if there had been any previous calls for service at the house.

The woman had no physical injuries. “She seems to be OK. EMS came by and checked her out,” Gilliland said.

She was the only person to fire a weapon. She claims that she does not know the men who invaded her home. The deceased male’s gun was recovered at the scene.

The investigation is ongoing as is the search for the man who took off.

See scene photos below.


A Texas Department of Public Safety helicopter circled the neighborhood unsuccessfully looking for the man who got away. Covering Katy photo by Dennis Spellman


A Harris County Sheriff’s Office deputy kept an eye on a nearby bayou to see if he could spot the home invader who took off. Covering Katy photo by Dennis Spellman


Deputies shut down Fort Bowie Court until the medical examiner came to retrieve the body. Covering Katy photo by Dennis Spellman


Google Maps